A recent conversation in The Frugal Path household went something like this:
Mrs. Frugal Path: “On my way home I have to stop at the Dollar Tree. Oh, I almost forgot my coupons.”
Me: “Coupons? Are you going to the supermarket? Pick me up some cookies.”
Mrs. Frugal Path: “No, I’m not going to the supermarket. You can use coupons at the Dollar Tree now.”
Me: “Oh, you can? Cool.”
No, you didn’t read that wrong and it isn’t a misprint. You really can use manufacturer coupons at The Dollar Tree to rack up savings of half off to completely free!
The Coupon Policy
For the finer points check out the Dollar Tree coupon policy, but here are some of the important points:
- Only manufacturer coupons are accepted, no store coupons (You can’t use a Kmart or Kroger store coupon).
- They do not offer overages. You can use a $1.50 off coupon to get the item for free, but you won’t get the $.50 back.
- Coupons for free items are only accepted if you are required to purchase an item, such as a buy-one-get-one free coupon. You can’t use a plain “free” coupon.
Internet coupons are accepted, but have a few more caveats:
- Only 2 internet coupons are accepted per household per day. That’s 2 total. Even if you have 10 different internet coupons for 10 different items, only 2 internet coupons will be accepted.
- Internet coupons cannot be photo copied and must have different bar codes.
Bring their coupon policy with you
The Dollar Tree only recently started accepting coupons, from what I could find they began in August of 2012. To ensure that you receive the savings for your coupons, you should bring a print-out of the store’s coupon policy.
How we use coupons at the Dollar Tree
The Dollar Tree is a great place to use coupons. Because everything is a dollar, there are no sales to worry about. If they carry a product and you have the coupon then you can use it without worrying that someone else will clear the shelves. However, it can be difficult to find coupons for the products that they carry. To solve this issue, my wife uses The Krazy Coupon Lady’s Dollar Tree posts to find the best deals available.
Another reason we love couponing at the Dollar Tree is that coupons go further. Because everything is a dollar, when you match up an item with a coupon you can expect to purchase most products for less than $.50, and a lot of items can become free!
The drawback of using coupons at the Dollar Tree
I’ll admit that the Dollar Tree is not the most coupon friendly store to shop at. I cannot speak for all Dollar Trees, but the ones in our area do not scan the coupons. Therefore each coupon must be read and manually punched in. Because of the time involved, this can be inconvenient if you are in a hurry.
Because their still fairly new to accepting coupons, not every employee may be knowledgeable about the policy. That is why it is so important to bring the store’s coupon policy with you.
Do you shop at the Dollar Tree? Have you ever tried to coupon there?
Photo Provided By: daysofthundr46